In December 1914, Liverpool became one of the 21 Auxiliary Patrol Bases and in February 1915, the base of the 10th Cruiser Squadron. During the Second World War, Liverpool was headquarters of Western Approaches Command and a manning depot for officers and men of the Merchant Navy who agreed to serve with the Royal Navy for the duration of the war.
Liverpool (Anfield) Cemetery contains burials of both wars. The majority are in two war graves plots in Section 5, with Screen Walls bearing the names of those buried there. The rest of the war burials are scattered throughout the cemetery.
There are 445 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery. Included in this total are 17 casualties who are commemorated by name on the Screen Wall as their graves in Bootle (St Mary) Churchyard and Liverpool (St James) Cemetery could no longer be maintained. Second World War burials number 459 including 2 unidentified British soldiers. There is also another Screen Wall memorial to those whose burials are not marked by headstones. There are also 67 war graves of other nationalities, the majority of them Dutch and Norwegian Merchant seamen, and there are 9 non war service burials here.