Grandcourt was reached on 1 July 1916, by men of the 36th (Ulster) Division, but it was not taken until the night of 5/6 February 1917 when patrols of the Royal Naval Division found it deserted. It was in German hands again from April to August 1918.
Grandcourt Road Cemetery was made in the spring of 1917 when the Ancre battlefield was cleared.
The cemetery now contains 391 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 108 of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty known to be buried among them.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.